Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Trip to the Washington Post...

This past Friday I took a tour of the Washington Post.com with my graduate class in Washington D.C. and I have to say that it was a valuable experience. We toured with Chet Rhodes who is the Assistant Manager for News Video.

He taught us some rules to shooting video and he also talked to us about the future plans of the Washington Post and what goes on in the online department of the post. Best of all, he provided us with some food to each and some valuable tips on how to make our website portfolios better including what he would be looking for in hiring someone after looking at a persons online portfolio.

One of the most interesting things that I learned about the Washington Post's online department is the process that they have in place that critiques and improves reporters' videos. I feel that this process is needed in a lot of newspapers because a lot of print journalists do not have the experience to produce top quality videos.

After the trip I found a video of Mr. Rhodes on YouTube where he talks about the future of print journalism and talks more on video and online journalism.



I'm glad I was able to be a part of this learning experience.

No comments: